Tuesday 17 October 2017

Diary of A Norfolk Broad (It's all in the name)

I can't say I've ever been overly keen on my name.  It's a fairly ordinary name.  My middle name, on the other hand, is far more interesting and I much prefer it.  I knew a girl at secondary school who had the same predicament but she was clever, far cleverer than me at any rate, and so she swapped them around.  Of course we never knew this until much later on and by then were used to her name change, being as how we had never known any different. I did wonder whether her parents ever got confused, but then again, she was the youngest of five girls so I expect they got confused anyway, name changes or not.

Recently, since I turned fifty, I wondered whether I should have done the same, or whether it is too late to do it now.  My partner said he'd call me whatever I liked (within reason of course), and this was certainly something worth considering, but then I realised that it could cause all sorts of complications, mostly the fact that I might not always remember, and then what would happen in an emergency, if say, he saw imminent danger heading my way and shouted my new name and I was a bit distracted and didn't think he was talking to me?

I will have to give it more thought I expect, before making any decisions.

Names are funny things.

Name associations are too.  As in, I could never name my child, Boris, for obvious reasons.  Ditto, Donald.  Fairly innocuous names not so long ago, but now whenever I hear them they make my ears bleed.

It's no wonder Margaret went out of fashion. 

Will Jeremy make a come-back, or has the Hunt ruined it for the Corbyn.  If I were the Corbyn I might definitely be looking to swap names.  Just out of curiosity I googled his middle name.  It's Bernard, if you must know.  So would he fare any better as a Bernard, I wonder?  St Bernard? Could be to his advantage if the Press were in a good mood that day.  But then there's also Bernard Matthews who was famous for mistreating his turkeys.
How about Bernard Manning?  Probably safe there, as I doubt hardly anyone will remember him since he popped off ages ago, although he was well known for his jokes that were so un-pc I think even Freddie Starr and Jim Davidson found then offensive.  I expect not many people remember them either.

Personally I think Bernard is looking promising or perhaps even Jeremy Bernard.  Or could he be confused with Jeffrey Bernard, the British journalist, best known for his weekly column "Low Life" in The Spectator magazine, and also notorious for being a raging alcoholic and hanging out in Soho a lot. This may not be so good, although it does have an air of romanticism if you ask me.  Not that you did, nor Jeremy either.

I suppose I will just have to accept my name as it is.  It could be worse. It could always be worse.  Just ask Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter. Imagine spending your life being named after a Cox's Pippin.


No comments: